This article explains how to disable zip file web restores for an organization to improve security. When enabled, users and administrators can perform zip file web restores, which are designed to quickly restore a collection of files to any computer with a web browser, even without access to the original computer.
Disabling zip file web restores limits file exfiltration potential by preventing users from downloading data in a browser. Disabling these restores also prevents unencrypted files from existing on a storage server, which secures user data from access by administrators.
To disable zip file web restores:
- Sign in to the CrashPlan console.
- Select Administration > Environment > Organizations.
- Select an organization.
- From the action menu in the upper-right, select Edit.
- Select the Security tab.
- From Web Restores, if necessary, deselect Inherit setting from parent.
- In Zip file and server filesystem, select Disabled.
- Disabled: Users in the organization cannot perform zip file web restores.
- Enabled: Users in the organization can perform zip file web restores.
(Recommended) Click the lock icon to:
- Apply the setting to all child organizations
- Prevent child organizations from changing this setting
- Click Save.