The CrashPlan app uses the name of your user account to assign a name for your device. Your device name is a label for you to distinguish one device from another. The name itself does not affect your backup. This tutorial shows how to change the name that the CrashPlan app assigns to your device.
Change the device name
You can change the name of your computer backup from several places, as described below.
From the CrashPlan app
- Open the CrashPlan app.
- Select Settings.
- In General next to Device Name, click Rename.
- Enter the new device name.
The new device name is saved automatically when you press Enter or navigate away from the field.
From the CrashPlan console
Sign in to the CrashPlan console.
Contact your administrator for the CrashPlan console's URL (for example: https://authority-server.example.com:4285/console).
- Click Devices.
- Select the device you want to change.
- From the action menu, select Edit.
- Next to Name for this device, enter the new name for the device.
- Click Save.