An archive key password is an optional level of security you can enable for your account. This level of security requires you to enter the archive key password to sign into the CrashPlan app or download your files. This tutorial describes how to change that archive key password from the CrashPlan app.
- If the archive key encryption option was enabled for you by an administrator, then the default password is set to your account password until it is changed from the CrashPlan app.
- To change your archive key password, you must provide existing security information for your account. You must either:
- Provide your current archive key password
- Answer your recovery question
If you don't know your archive key password, or you didn't set a recovery question, then there is no way to change or recover your archive key password. You must contact your administrator. CrashPlan Customer Champions cannot reset or recover an archive key password for you.
Change archive key password from the CrashPlan app
- Open the CrashPlan app, Select Settings.
- Select Security.
- Next to Archive key password, select Change.
- Enter your current archive key password.
- Enter your new archive key password.
- Passwords must be at least 8 characters. For stronger security, use 16 characters or more.
- Passwords must have at least one uppercase letter, one lowercase letter, and one number. Special characters and symbols are also allowed.
- Passwords can't contain spaces or 3 or more repeating letters, numbers, or characters.
- Passwords shouldn't contain common words or phrases that are easily guessed (like "password" or "letmein").
- Never reuse passwords. Don't use a password for CrashPlan that you use for any other online account.
- Re-enter your new archive key password.
- Click Save.
The message Archive Key Password Updated appears.New password for all devices
The password is changed for all devices on your account.