The CrashPlan app relies on the full file path to locate files and folders. If the location, name, or letter of a drive changes, you may notice that the backup selection reports the "File is missing”, or the destination reports the drive as “unavailable”.
If an external drive's name or letter has changed, you may notice either of the following:
- Backup file selection displays File is missing(occurs when you are backing up files on the drive).
- Backup destination displays Destination unavailable message (occurs when you are backing up to an external drive).
If an external drive's name or letter has not changed, but the CrashPlan app reports the drive as "Missing" in your backup selection, initiate a file verification scan and the CrashPlan app will detect the drive.
We recommend renaming the drive to match the original location. If you have forgotten the original drive name or letter, see finding the original drive letter. If you know the original drive's name or letter, follow the steps below for changing the drive name in your operating system.
The CrashPlan app does not support Universal Naming Convention (UNC) file paths (for example, //SERVERNAME/shareddir/). File selections must use an absolute path (for example, C:/) to enable backup and restore.
- Press Windows key to open search.
- Type Disk Management.
- Select Create and format hard disk partitions.
- Right-click the drive you wish to change, and select Change Drive Letter and Paths.
- Click Change
- Click Assign the following drive letter.
- Choose the original drive letter, and press Ok.
- Click Yes to confirm the warning.
- Open the Finder.
- In the top menu, select Go
- Choose Go to folder...
- Enter /Volumes.
In the Volumes folder, you will see duplicate drives: the original external drive name and the renamed external drive. The external drive that has been renamed usually includes an extra space or "1" after the name.
- Select the original external drive, and delete it.
- Select the new external drive.
- Rename the drive so it is using the original name again.
Find the original drive letter
If you don't know the original drive name or letter, use the CrashPlan app to locate it.
Back up an external drive
- Open the CrashPlan app.
- Click Manage Files.
- From the breadcrumb overflow menu, select the name of your device.
The drive name or letter displays in the file selection.
Back up to an external drive
- Open the CrashPlan app.
- Select Settings.
- Click Destinations.
- From the list of destinations, select the name of the external drive.
The full file path and drive name or letter is displayed below Archive Location.