- CrashPlan for Home
This article is intended for CrashPlan for Home users. For Code42 CrashPlan and CrashPlan for Small Business documentation, read this page on our enterprise support site.
Code42 strives to continually innovate and evolve its solutions, providing customers with richer functionality and more robust products. As part of this ongoing evolution, certain Code42 products, including software and hardware lines, will reach the end of their lives. Our goal is to provide straightforward product lifecycle policies that help customers better design, deploy, and manage their IT investments and upgrades.
This article outlines Code42's lifecycle policy for its products, including both software and hardware.
Product lifecycle policy
A Code42 product is:
Any good or service produced or provided by Code42.
The following policy items apply to all Code42 products, including both software and hardware:
- Code42 may choose to announce the end-of-sale and end-of-support dates for its products at any time.
- Code42 works with its customers to ensure continuity of business when announcing the end-of-sale or end-of-support dates for its products.
- Notifications and reminders to customers for end-of-support begin approximately 6 months prior to the end-of-support date.
Software lifecycle policy
The following policy items apply to Code42's software products:
- Code42 supports the two most current major software versions of its software.
- However, master servers that connect to the Code42 secure public cloud are subject to a more restrictive policy in order to maintain continuous service. For details, see Code42 Public Cloud Version Policy.
- Computers that use CrashPlan to connect directly to the Code42 secure public cloud for use with CrashPlan for Home or CrashPlan for Small Business are subject to a more restrictive policy in order to maintain the best service. For details, see CrashPlan for Home And CrashPlan for Small Business Software Version Policy.
- The end-of-sale and end-of-support dates for existing major software versions coincide with the release of a new major software version.
- Customers with annual licenses (or other licenses with current maintenance contracts) are offered a software upgrade to a current supported version.
- When a major software version reaches end-of-support, access to Code42 Customer Champion support, patches, bug fixes, and maintenance contracts are no longer available. Customers may upgrade their software prior to the end-of-support date in order to continue to receive uninterrupted support.
Hardware lifecycle policy
The following items apply to Code42's hardware products:
- Hardware is supported for 5 years (60 months) from the purchase date.
- Code42 will not generate quotes for hardware models within 60 days of model end-of-sale date.
- When a hardware model has reached end-of-support, spares, replacement parts, and maintenance contracts for the hardware are no longer available.
- Maintenance contracts for hardware are not renewable after the end-of-support date.
- Customers may choose to refresh their hardware by the end-of-support date to continue to receive uninterrupted support.
- Code42 requires customers to purchase hardware maintenance and remote monitoring services throughout the life of the hardware. Maintenance and monitoring services can be purchased for 5 years (60 months) in one-year increments, beginning on the purchase date of the hardware.
- end-of-sale date
The last date to order the product from Code42 through various sales channels.
Access to maintenance, remote monitoring and the Code42 Customer Champion Team is no longer available. Patches, bug fixes, repair actions, and parts replacements are no longer available to products that have reached end-of-support. All hardware reaches end-of-support when non-renewed, or at the end of year 5 (60 months beyond purchase date), whichever is first.
Code42-manufactured equipment (including its physical components) purchased from Code42 or a Code42-authorized agent. Hardware may also be referred to as “appliance”.
- major software version
A significant software version that is defined as x.0. Example: 4.0.
Once obsolete, the product is not sold, manufactured, improved, repaired, maintained or supported.
Any good or service produced or provided by Code42.
- product lifecycle
The processes surrounding the introduction, growth and maturity of a product. The product lifecycle includes a series of technical and business milestones and activities that, once completed, make a product obsolete. See Code42's Product Lifecycle Policy for additional information.
- purchase date
The date that an order for hardware was processed by Code42.
- software versions
Code42 uses four designations for software versions:
- Major software versions contain large features and changes to functionality. Major version numbers are one digit (and a zero), such as 4.0 or 5.0.
- Minor software versions contain smaller features and enhancements to existing functionality. Minor version numbers are two digits, such as 3.6 or 4.2.
- Maintenance software versions contain bug fixes and other small changes. Maintenance version numbers are three digits, such as 4.3.5 or 5.1.2.
- Patch software versions contain bug fixes or other corrections that must be addressed before the next scheduled release point. Patch version numbers are four digits, such as 188.8.131.52 or 184.108.40.206.
- under maintenance
The time period that remote monitoring and hardware support are available from Code42.
Updates to this document
This Product Lifecycle Policy document should not be interpreted as a legally binding commitment, but rather as an informational document that may change occasionally as we respond to changing market conditions and to our customers' needs.
This document represents the current view of Code42 as of the date it was posted. Code42 may change or update this policy at any time, without notice. Code42 cannot guarantee that this document will be kept up to date, nor that any typographical errors, inaccuracies or omissions will be corrected. Please check this document periodically to keep informed of any changes.
All online policies and similar documents are for informational purposes only. Code42 makes no warranties, express, implied or statutory, by posting such documents or about the information in such documents.