- CrashPlan for Home
This article is intended for CrashPlan for Home users. For Code42 CrashPlan and CrashPlan for Small Business documentation, read this page on our enterprise support site.
Now that you have installed CrashPlan on your computer, you're ready to create an account. Creating an account allows you to start backing up and inviting others to back up to you. To get started, just open the CrashPlan app and enter your basic information in the Create Your Account window.
- Open the CrashPlan app by clicking the CrashPlan icon on your desktop (Windows) or in the task bar (Mac).
- Choose New Account when you are registering CrashPlan for the first time.
- Enter your first name.
- Enter your last name.
- Enter the email address to which you want associated with your CrashPlan account. You can use this email address to:
- Link your account to your CrashPlan subscription, if you have one
- Receive email notifications about your backup
- Sign in to your CrashPlan account online
- Add additional computers to your account
- Enter a password to secure your CrashPlan account.
You can configure your CrashPlan app to require a password. Passwords are case sensitive, so be sure to use the same capital letters the next time you log in. See our password considerations for more suggestions.
- Re-enter the password.
- Click Create Account.
After a few moments a message displays indicating that you have successfully created your CrashPlan account. Now you're ready to start backing up or inviting others to back up to you. You will also receive an email message with your account info and additional information about using CrashPlan.
Your password must include:
- At least eight characters total
- At least one number (0-9)
- At least one lowercase letter (a-z)
- At least one uppercase letter (A-Z)
Your password must not:
- Be only a standard dictionary word
- Be an email address
- Include the same character three or more times in a row