- CrashPlan for Home
This article is intended for CrashPlan for Home users. For Code42 CrashPlan and CrashPlan PRO documentation, read this page on our enterprise support site.
You can use other computers you own to create a convenient onsite backup destination. Backing up to other computers is always free, with or without a subscription to CrashPlan for Home.
- Reliability: All destinations are vulnerable to disasters that affect the destinations' physical locations, such as a fire. We recommend backing up to both onsite and offsite destinations for maximum backup protection.
- Speed: Backups and restores between computers rely on an Internet connection to transfer files. Depending on the size of your file selection, your initial backup can take a while if you rely solely on an Internet connection. You can reduce the time required to back up by "seeding" your backup locally.
On the destination computer, you can change where backup data is stored and move the data to a location of your choosing, such as an external drive. When you select a new backup location, CrashPlan moves the entire backup archive, so make sure you choose a location with enough space for the archive.
In this example, we back up Marvin's Mac to Marvin's Windows Desktop.
Step 1: Install CrashPlan on both computers
- Install the CrashPlan app on both computers
- Sign in to the CrashPlan app on both computers using your account credentials
It is important to sign with the same account on both computers
Step 2: Start backup
- From the CrashPlan app on the computer you want to back up (e.g., Marvin's Mac), go to Destinations > Computers
- Select the computer to be used as the backup destination (e.g., Marvin's Windows Desktop) from the list of your computers
- Click Start Backup
If you would like both computers to back up to each other, repeat Step 2 from your other computer.
Step 3: (Optional) limit backup archive size
By default, CrashPlan uses as much storage space as needed for the archive.To limit the amount of storage a computer on your own account can use:
- On the destination computer, navigate to Backup > Inbound.
- Click the name of your incoming computer.
The incoming backup details display.
- From Allotted space, select GB and enter a value between 1 and 999.
CrashPlan limits the archive size to the specified value.