- CrashPlan for Home
This article is intended for CrashPlan for Home users. For Code42 CrashPlan and CrashPlan PRO documentation, read this page on our enterprise support site.
This article explains how to back up and restore your music and videos, as well as playlists, ratings, and the settings of your media player.
The concepts in this article apply to most media players, including MediaMonkey, Foobar2000, MusicBee, and iTunes. However, for specific iTunes instructions, see Restoring Your iTunes Library.
Most media libraries contain two different kinds of files: media files and configuration files.
- Media files include audio and video file types such as .mp3, .wav, .mp4, .avi, .wma, .mov, etc.
- Configuration files include your personalized settings such as playlists, song ratings, comments, and album art. Examples of these file types include .ini, .xml, .mdb, etc. Oftentimes, all of these files are contained in a single “settings” folder.
To restore your media library to a previous state, you must back up your media and configuration files.
Information about products from other manufacturers is intended as a resource to help you get the most out of Code42 products. However, our Customer Champions cannot provide direct assistance for these products. For assistance with products not developed by Code42, contact the product's manufacturer.
Backing up your media library
To back up your media library (including all media files and settings):
- Locate the files to back up.
- Media: By default, CrashPlan backs up your User directory or Home folder, which typically includes My Music, My Videos, etc. If you want to back up media files that are stored outside your User directory or Home folder, make sure to note those locations as well.
- Configuration: The location of configuration files varies. Refer to your specific media player's documentation for details.
- Open the CrashPlan app.
- Select Backup > Change.
- Review the files already selected for backup, and add files to your backup file selection as necessary.
Restoring your media library
To restore your media library (including all media files and settings):
- Open the CrashPlan app.
- Select Restore.
- Locate and select all of your media and configuration files.
- Click Desktop to change the restore location to original location.
For additional restore options, see Restoring From The CrashPlan app.
- Click Restore.
Your download begins immediately. The Restore Status displays the status of your restored files.
- (Optional) Refer to your specific media player's documentation for any necessary steps to import your restored media library.
Backup and restore information for a few popular media players is listed below. Refer to your specific media player's documentation for details about the types and locations of files to back up.