If you have lots of information to back up (at least 300 GB), backing up online could take many weeks. With so much data going over the wire, backing up online might not seem practical.
With our Seeded Backup solution we can help you get your backup completed in much less time.
- The seeding service is an optional service can enables you to get your first backup sent to your CrashPlan online destination faster than over the Internet. How much faster depends on how much you need to back up and the speed of your Internet connection.
- Ordering the seeding service requires having a CrashPlan+ subscription, so that you can restore your files when you need them and can continue backing up after we have loaded your seeded archive to your online destination.
- It is a good idea to back up to a local destination in addition backing up online, so that your files are available to restore quickly.
- You may only back up a computer to a single seed drive.
- Speeds up an initial online backup
- Convenient solution for large backups (> 300 GB)
- Simple, hassle-free operation
- You place your order from our store. All orders are shipped in the order they are received (typical wait time is 5-7 business days).
- Please note: We ship our Seed drives via FedEx. FedEx does not deliver to Post Office Boxes. When you order the Seed drive, be sure to provide a physical address for the shipment.
- You receive the external USB drive and back up to it with CrashPlan.
We include instructions for setting up and backing up the hard drive in the box containing the drive. CrashPlan Seeding Setup
- You send the drive back (using the provided shipping label).
- We copy your backup archive to our data center.
- You use CrashPlan's online backup destination.
We'll keep you updated on status once we receive the hard drive containing your backup data.
No. The seeding service is an optional service. Order this service only if the initial backup over the Internet to your CrashPlan online destination will take a lot longer than you'd like.
No. The seeding service is available for an additional fee.
Yes. The reason you order the seeding service is to start backing up to and restoring from your CrashPlan online destination faster.
We'll send you a 1 TB drive. You can send as much data as you can back up to the 1TB drive.
Back up as much as you can to the 1 TB drive, then ship the drive back to us. We'll upload your backup to our online destination. Your backup will automatically continue where it left off. All files backed up over the Internet will be added to your backup and you'll still save a lot of time by shipping us a large percentage of your backup.
No. You can only seed as much backup data from a single computer as will fit on a 1 TB drive.
Seeding is intended for your initial backup.
When the seed is loaded onto our servers, any files you backed up to CrashPlan online destinations are completely overwritten/replaced with the files on the seed. It's as if the day you start back up to the seed drive is day 1 of your online backup. You will not be able to restore versions of files that you backed up online before your seed backup started.
Yes. Your data is encrypted, so even if the drive is lost, there is no risk to your personal files.
Yes, providing all of the files fit on one 1 TB drive. Just connect the seed drive to each computer one at a time.
No. We've tested our drives for our hardware. To ensure a reliable backup, we need you to seed your backup with our drives.
Your files are safe in one of our worldwide data center facilities.
We retain your backup archive as long as you have an active CrashPlan+ subscription.
50 US States, all overseas US Armed Forces POs and Australia.
To honor your service, members of the US Armed Forces actively serving overseas get the Seed Services for free.
If you have an active CrashPlan+ account and you are a member of the US Armed Forces on active duty overseas, from your ”.mil” email address, please write firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, email address and mailing information, so we can ship your seed drive.
You have 21 days from the date of purchase to return the drive to us. If we have not received the drive within that time, we will assume you are keeping the drive and charge your credit card an additional $150.
No. Price includes shipping BOTH ways. We included a pre-addressed, pre-paid return label in the box.