CrashPlan is the only automatic backup solution that lets you backup to multiple locations: online, other computers and to attached drives. Because each type of destination has its own advantages, CrashPlan doesn't make you choose just one. In fact, the most robust and flexible backup strategy is one where you are backing up to each of these destinations.
Being able to back up to multiple destinations offers the following benefits:
- Back up to CrashPlan Central. When you're just getting started, and haven't set up other computers or friends as destinations, backing up to CrashPlan Central, our online backup service, is the perfect solution. It is free for 30 days, and is the easiest way to start backing up right away.
- Back up one computer to another. By backing up to another computer you own (and that is nearby and connected via a network), your initial backup and restore time is much shorter than it would be backing up to a computer via the Internet.
- Back up to a friend's computer. Send an invitation requesting that you be allowed to back up to a friend's computer. Keep in mind that this person doesn’t need to be a personal friend… he or she just needs to be someone with an Internet connection who will allow you to use available disk space to store your files. Your files are encrypted before leaving your computer and stored encrypted on your friend's computer, so your friend does not have access to your files.
- Allow friends to back up to you. In exchange for their permission to back up to their computers, return the favor and offer your computer as a destination to your friends.
- Back up to an attached drive. Complete your initial backup as fast as possible by backing up to an external hard drive. If you need to restore a lot of data fast, this is always going to be your best option.